Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

1) What does the Foundation not do?

The foundation designs and carries out projects framed in its strategic lines, through which it makes its social investment. In this framework, there are specific areas that we do not support and for which we are frequently asked to sponsor.

What we do NOT do:
  • We do not grant donations to cover personal or commercial necessities.
  • We do not subsidize trips of an academic, cultural, sport, recreational or any other nature for private persons nor for representatives of institutions.
  • We do not provide sponsorship for attending or realizing events, conferences, symposiums or any other related event.
  • We do not make donations in the form of computers, technical assistance, glasses, wheelchairs or other elements of support.
  • We do not support programs of extracurricular school activities or athletic leagues or orphanages.
  • We do not offer donations to cover services of healthcare, purchasing of vehicles or for student loan payments.
  • We do not make donations or provide support for infrastructure, endowments, food, school kits, clothing, upkeep nor other services for institutions that cater to our target populations, nor any other type.
  • We do not manage placements in official educational institutions or provide attention to persons with disabilities or older persons.
  • We do not finance special services (interpretation of sign language, transportation, making copies in braille, etc.)

2) I’m a person with a disability, how do your initiatives benefit me?

The Foundation does not provide services directly to individuals, nevertheless, we have specific initiatives that seek to promote access for persons with disabilities to higher education or to postgraduate studies. For more information on our calls for candidates (scholarships) please visit. (Scholarships).

Related Information: What do we do and what don’t we do?

3) I am an older person, so how might I benefit from your initiatives?

We do not provide services directly to older persons. Nevertheless, we encourage you to get to know our work in the section entitled “what we do” as well as consulting published materials and articles of interest in the section called Digital Library where you will find articles of interest, service directories and other resources that can be of interest to you.

Related information: What we do and what we do not do? Virtual Library.

4) ) I need one---Wheelchair----Hearing aid—Rehabilitation Treatment….

We do not offer support for technical help or of any other type, however, we invite you to visit our links of interest where you can find information about diverse institutions and services; also how to participate in the community and the forums of our social networks where you can find articles and other information of interest.
Additionally, you can go to:

  • Secretary of Health Municipality and Department (see directory)
  • Ministry of Health and Social Protection

Related information: What do we do and what don’t we do?

5)We are an entity that works with persons with disabilities and we require support for an event

We do not provide support or one-time aids for events or initiatives held by institutions or foundations.

Related Information: What do we do and what don’t we do? How can I participate as an Individual, or as an Institution?

6) How can I apply for a scholarship provided by the Foundation?

We have a variety of agreements and alliances to carry out our line of Postgraduate Scholarships abroad or financial support for higher education, directed at persons with disabilities. To get to know in more detail the requirements of these, please visit the different modalities. (scholarships).

7) I am looking for employment opportunities

The Foundation does not carry out job-seeking activities, nevertheless, we encourage you to visit the page of the program: Productivity Agreement or go to SENA: Public Employment Service Program SENA Inclusive
Additionally, you can register your CV with us and consult current job opportunity announcements by visiting:
Related Information: What do we do and what don’t we do?

8) I am being discriminated in the workplace

You can request an Inspection of your Workplace by directing your request to the Department of Labor Promotion of the Ministry of Labor. Furthermore, the Ombudsman Office or the Legal Status Office can reply to your questions. Finally, in the Webpage of the Legal Action Program (PAIIS) of the Universidad de los Andes, you can also seek help.

9) I have an assisted living center for older persons and I need resources to improve the infrastructure and to maintain it open.

Our organization does not do private donations of this type nor do we provide this kind of help. Nevertheless, we would highly recommend being aware of the calls for supporting productive initiatives for older persons of the Foundation through this webpage. Furthermore, To make your request more visible and to know who is offering this type of services, we would invite you to visit the webpage of the Nelly Ramirez Moreno Foundation which receives support projects for infrastructure and funding in certain instances of the year

10) I need money or a subsidy

The Foundation does not include the aim of providing subsidies, sponsorships or donations within its social purpose nor its mission statement. We advocate for social inclusion of persons with disabilities and for older persons through the programs we carry out, we influence public policy and seek to spread the rights of persons with disabilities before the competent authorities. (Mayors and Governors, principally) but we do not offer services directly to citizens.
The ICBF has a support program with subsidies for low-income mothers of children with disabilities. You can contact them through the ICBF—Telephone 4377630—Coordinator of Disabilities
Colombian Institute of Family Welfare
Address: Avenida 68 No. 64-01
Fax: 4377630
The Ministry of Labor—office of employment, manages employment and unemployment subsidies and for older adults.

11) I am a mother/father of a child with disabilities and I am not sure what services I have a right to or to which I can gain access?

In December of the year 2007, the world received the proclamation of the Convention on Rights for Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) ,and Colombia ratified it in 2011, by which it became a legal national order and its compliance is obligatory.
Equally, the Law 1618 of 2013 states:
In the Kit Papaz (parents) for inclusion you will find a guide on basic tools to recognize differences, eliminate barriers to participation and strengthen family, school and society.
Click here to know more. Here know more
In Bogotá

  • For general information on District Services, please go to the District Secretary of Social Integration, Telephone: 3279797 Ext. 1056
  • Placements for children from 0 to 6 years old in nurseries of the Secretary of Social Integration, with priority for awarding spots for children with disabilities.
  • You can send a letter or a note to the complaint system on the first floor of the Secretary of Education.

In the rest of the country:
You can go to the Secretaries of Social Welfare as well as the Secretaries of Education and Health in your towns, where they should have an institutional response on the topic. To register with the Registry of location and characterization of persons with disabilities in each city or municipality, with the aim of accessing local services for persons with disabilities, you should go to the Secretary of Health in your city or municipality. Additionally, there are support networks and accompaniment to families at the national level such as the Early Childhood Pastoral (,, the network of Liliane Fonds (

12) What is the registry for the location and characterization of persons with disabilities and how do I register?

EThis is a process that was started by the National Administrative Department of Statistics DANE,which has been up and running since 2004 and is currently managed by the Ministry of Health and Social Protection, that operates in the national territory through the administration of each departmental organization. It is a technical tool that allows for establishing not only the location and characterization of the population with disabilities, with respect to the level of satisfaction of the human needs and serves as support for the formulation of policies, plans and programs that respond to the real needs of the said population.
The citizens who have disabilities and are residents of Bogotá and who are still not registered through this tool should go to the points indicated by the District Secretary of Health, keeping in mind the following aspects:

  • The registry is free
  • It takes approximately 40 minutes.
  • It is voluntary
  • It does not give any type of certification.
  • It should be done in the respective location near your residence.

The citizens who are residents outside of Bogotá, must do their registration in the Health Organization of the municipality where they live.

end faq